Rolled ring forging is used in a number of sectors, from the nuclear industry to machine shops to pharmaceutical companies.
Rolled ring forging is a process that begins with a circular preform of metal that has already been pierced to make a hollow “doughnut” shape. This ring is heated, then rotate to reduce its wall thickness and increasing the diameters of the resulting ring.
Among the advantages of using these rings:
- Strength – Forgings are stronger than other components, maintaining their strength through high temperature fluctuations.
- Cost effectiveness – These rings are manufactured at a lower cost than similar products. There’s less machining involved because the rings closely match the contour of the finished shape.
- Reliability – The high temperatures needed to created rolled rings means the grain pattern used in making them gives them metal more strength and resistance compared to other components.
- Better under heat – Compared to other components, it’s easier to predict how rolled rings will react to heat. With most other components, users need to take care when applying heat to prevent the component from melting or otherwise deforming. With forgings, users can be sure of the maximum heat it can withstand.
- Wider range of materials – These rings can be made from any forgeable material – alloy, stainless steel, carbon, aerospace metals. This versatility makes them a flexible and responsive answer when manufactures seek components in markets such as power generation, chemical and refinery industries.
For more than 125 years, Specialty Ring Products has been a leader in the forging industry. We’re a four-generation, family-owned company with an old fashioned commitment to quality work and a forward-thinking dedication to refining our processes.
In addition to our seamless rolled rings and sleeves and contoured rolled rings, we also manufacture forged discs and provide precision machining.
Contact us today to learn more about our products, or visit our website to request a forging ring quote.